- Degrading Converts
- Moshe Ben-Chaim
- Unfortunately there is a destructive and non-Jewish opinion
circulating in the observant community. One which anyone aware
of must speak out about. I refer to those people who will not
consider converts for prospective "shidduchim" or dates.
This act of degrading the "gare", the convert, violates
Torah laws, "thou shalt love thy neighbor", also, "thou
shalt love the convert".
- We must, as always, follow God's Torah. If God selected Ruth
the Moabite to be the ancestor of Moshiach, no other argument
is needed to prove that a convert is equal to any one else. Furthermore,
one born Jewish who does not accept a convert is not only less
perfected than the convert, but the convert is more prized by
God than this Jew.
- Rambam praises the convert as they selected this life. It
is not an inheritance to them as it is to us. They made a conscious
decision after analysis, and saw the truth. How much more should
they be celebrated as true lovers of Torah!
- God chose Ruth the convert. He chose David and Solomon her
grandsons to be the Jewish leaders. The Rabbis selected David's
words as the core of our prayers' texts.
- Shavuous celebrates God's gift of the Torah. A book which
is based on sound principles. We read the book of Ruth at this
time for good reason. Do what you can to correct this destructive
opinion when the opportunity presents itself.
- Human feelings and Torah laws must be protected. Speak